Money saving energy tips.
Home energy saving tips.
- Nothing is more energy-efficient than cooking with your microwave
- Do laundry efficiently by using the warm or cold water setting to wash clothes and always use cold water to rinse clothes (save 4%)
- Line dry clothes whenever you can (save up to 5%)
- When using the dryer, run full loads, use the moisture-sensing setting and clean the lint trap after each use (save 0.5%)
- Your dishwasher uses less water than washing dishes by hand – you conserve energy running your dishwasher only when fully loaded and turning off the dry cycle to air-dry dishes instead (save 1%)
- Make sure that cooled air coming from air conditioning vents is not obstructed by furniture or draperies
- Don't place lamps or TV sets near your thermostat – the thermostat senses heat from these appliances causing A/C units to run longer than necessary
Home improvements that go a long way.
- Install new storm windows and doors; there are many easy "do-it-yourself" options
- Replace old air conditioning units with newer, more energy-efficient units – newer equipment can save you up to 40% on your energy bills
- Seal leaks in attic ductwork so that cool air doesn't slip outside
- Turn lights off when leaving the room
- Use compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) rather than incandescent light bulbs in common areas
- Set refrigerator temperature to 37-40 degrees
- Install low cost fire place modifications (such as a flue-top damper, fireplace grate or glass doors)
- Upgrade your equipment to systems that are EnergyStar® rated, e.g. Burnham Boilers
Water saving tips.
- Repair leaky faucets promptly
- Install aerating, low faucets and showerheads
- Take more showers than baths
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes
Petro Home Services is proud to not only serve communities in CT, NJ, NY, MA, PA,
DC, RI, and MD, but we also proudly acknowledge the skills and experience of our expert team behind all resources. With insights on topics ranging from heating oil facts to common air conditioning questions, you can
rely on Petro Home Services for facts and information to help you understand more about your heating, cooling and home comfort needs. This article and all articles on the Petro Home Services website have been approved by our team of home service experts.