Propane energy efficiency tips for your home.
We're not just your total propane solutions provider, you can also count on us as your energy savings partner, too. That's why we want to share these tips with you, to help you save energy and save money on your propane utility bills:
- Change your furnace filter monthly - Inspect and tune-up your residential heating systems regularly. A heating system that is running well is more efficient.
- Protect against drafts by caulking and weather stripping around windows,
doors, and any other openings.
- Invest in a furnace thermostat timer that will lower your heat when you are not home. Turning your furnace down by 10 to 15 percent for eight hours a day can reduce your annual heating bill by as much as 10 percent each year.
- To extend the life of your water heater and increase its energy efficiency,
drain and clean it every 6 months.
- You may also save more on your hot-water bill by turning down your water
heater from the standard 120 degrees to 115 degrees. Every 10 degree reduction in water temperature results in about an 8 percent savings in energy use.
- Install flow restricting showerheads. You can reduce your water usage by up to 50 percent without affecting the shower pressure.
- If you currently do not have a propane water heater, you should consider
converting to propane equipment. Over time, propane water heaters can cost up to 1/3 less to operate and recover hot water
twice as fast as electric heaters.
- Repair leaky faucets. A leak that fills a coffee cup in 10 minutes wastes 3,200 gallons of water a year.
- If you are thinking about buying a fireplace, consider one that is fueled
by propane. Propane fireplaces are known to spread heat more evenly and burn more efficiently than wood burning fireplaces.
Petro Home Services is proud to not only serve communities in CT, NJ, NY, MA, PA,
DC, RI, and MD, but we also proudly acknowledge the skills and experience of our expert team behind all resources. With insights on topics ranging from heating oil facts to common air conditioning questions, you can
rely on Petro Home Services for facts and information to help you understand more about your heating, cooling and home comfort needs. This article and all articles on the Petro Home Services website have been approved by our team of home service experts.